[SciPy-dev] Lagrange interpolation.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu May 7 03:40:25 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I was just looking for Lagrange interpolation in scipy and didn't find it.
So I wrote my own, then found this thread
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2008-April/016407.html. Anne's
version of barycentric interpolation is almost the same as the one I just
wrote, and I have a fortran version of Krogh that I wrote for scipy about,
oh, seven years ago ;) Anyway, I don't see Anne's routines in scipy, what
happened to them?

I've attached my version for comparison. BTW, the current lagrange in scipy
is the interpolating polynomial, which is pretty much useless for numerical
work. And the barycentric form can be differentiated, but it is work. Note
that with the proper grid the barycentric form provides a good way to
interpolate with chebyschev polynomials and can also be adapted for
trigonometric and rational interpolation, all of which are useful.

Chuck