[SciPy-dev] Please hammer scipy.io.matlab routines

Ariel Rokem arokem at berkeley.edu
Mon May 4 16:54:30 EDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

I ran this on a big file with loads of fMRI time-series in it.

Here's the comparison I made.

*Old(er) version:

*In [1]: import scipy

In [2]: scipy.__version__
Out[2]: '0.8.0.dev5606'

In [3]: import time

In [4]: import scipy.io as sio

In [5]: a = time.clock(); sio.loadmat('tSeries1.mat'); b = time.clock()

In [7]: b-a
Out[7]: 27.68

*New(er) version:
*

In [1]: import scipy

In [2]: scipy.__version__
Out[2]: '0.8.0.dev5697'

In [3]: import time

In [4]: import scipy.io as sio

In [5]: a = time.clock(); sio.loadmat('tSeries1.mat'); b = time.clock()

In [7]: b-a
Out[7]: 15.370000000000005

So yes - faster by a factor of 2 (What are the units of "time.clock"? It's
definitely not seconds and I am pretty sure that it's not minutes...)

Cheers,

Ariel

P.S. Where should I post the file?

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are getting very close to a scipy point release, and I have just
> been putting together fixes for the matlab routines.
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone who was having problems, or is not
> having problems, could update to latest scipy SVN and try on the worst
> possible files to see if it is working and at reasonable speed.
> Please let me know if not; thanks to all those who have posted files,
> please keep doing so.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Matthew

Ariel Rokem