[SciPy-dev] Should ndimage.measurements.* should return lists if index is a list?

Thouis (Ray) Jones thouis at broad.mit.edu
Fri May 1 11:13:06 EDT 2009

2009/4/19 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> 2009/4/19  <josef.pktd at gmail.com>:
>> The long term intention is to rewrite ndimage in cython, but I don't think
>> this will happen anytime soon.
>
> I wish it could, though -- it would save us so much time, and I think
> it is doable in two months by a dedicated student.  Does anyone have
> some free time to spare, or some money to pay for a student?

We may have a student this summer that can work on it as a project.

In the meantime, I rewrote ndimage.measurements in pure python/numpy.
I'm still testing its speed, but I think it will provide a good base
for a cython version.  I've simplified the code quite a bit.
Everything goes through a single labeled_reduce function, which
handles all the label/index interactions without needing any type
conversions.

The changes are available via git at:
http://broad.mit.edu/~thouis/scipy.git ndimage_measurements_rewrite

Ray Jones