[SciPy-dev] Python goes Mercurial (was Re: How to handle code contribution with GSoC students?)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri May 1 07:10:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Using something like git, bzr or hg is easier for the mentor, but this
> assumes the student knows how to use them. I am not sure I want to
> bother students with new tools if they don't know them - getting
> familiar with the scipy code, how to build, run and test it is already
> enough as a barrier of entry.

AFAICT from skimming Subject: lines in the archives, it hasn't yet been
mentioned that the Python project itself is switching to Mercurial:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/

(This isn't particularly relevant to GSoC, but it's something to keep an
eye on if you want to maintain tool compatibility with core Python.)

"Typing is cheap.  Thinking is expensive."  --Roy Smith