[SciPy-dev] talkbox scikit

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 3 13:53:19 EST 2009

Georg Holzmann wrote:

> hm, I can of course change the interface (and don't mention the author
> of the code, just the author of the paper) - but that sounds somehow
> silly to me ...

Again, IANAL, but I don't think it changes anything at this point
(changing the interface or not). GPL says that any derivative work that
you distribute must be GPL itself. Something with the same API and
"somewhat" similar may well qualify as derivative work.

This is annoying, but we have to be careful with those 'rules' - that's
the only reason why we cannot use things like the gsl, or R code, even
though those codebases are potentially very useful to us (and ours to
them, maybe).

> OK - I will. But is it enough if I write him a mail if that is ok and he
> says yes ?
>

>From a "moral" POV, it is enough for me - I have done exactly this in
the past. Since the code is open source, I think asking for permission
is a kind of "minimal decency".

cheers,

David