[SciPy-dev] Depreciating functions in scipy.stats

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:09:17 EST 2009

Hi,
I am seeing a few functions that should be made depreciated as these
appear to duplicate Numpy or Scipy functions.

Do you want these as new or old tickets (for example, samplestd has
ticket #81 as part of the Statistics Review)?
Would you want a large patch or one for each ticket?

These functions are just renamed functions present in scipy.special just
with perhaps slightly more informative names:
erfc
ksprob
fprob
chisqprob
zprob
But I do not think we need these as separate functions but there is the
issue of depreciation involved if users use these specific functions.

There are other like that should be treated as depreciated:
samplestd
samplevar

 >>> import numpy as np
 >>> import scipy.stats.stats as stats
 >>> a=np.array([[1,2,3,4,5], [6,7,8,9,10]])
 >>> np.std(a,axis=0)
array([ 2.5,  2.5,  2.5,  2.5,  2.5])
 >>> stats.samplestd(a,axis=0)
array([ 2.5,  2.5,  2.5,  2.5,  2.5])
 >>> stats.samplestd(a,axis=None)
2.8722813232690143
 >>> np.std(a,axis=None)
2.8722813232690143

Also, stats.py has the histogram and histogram2 functions where I agree
with the comment in the code about being obsoleted by numpy.histogram.
I would think these should be depreciated although the cumfreq and
relfreq functions would need to be rewritten,

Thanks
Bruce