[SciPy-dev] Special assignment for someone w/ "Unimportant" privileges

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:40:31 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM, David Goldsmith <d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com>wrote:

> OK, I promoted a few white ones on the Milestones page to light grey,
> counted the remainder (most in one or the other of the MA categories) and
> then cut, paste, and "counted" all the white ones on the "All docstrings"
> page: the ratio is about 5:1 (300:60).  So I look more closely at some of
> the white ones on the All docstrings page and see things like:
>
> numpy.testing.decorators.deprecated
>
> and
>
> numpy.ndarray.conjugate
>
> Shouldn't the former (and many like it) be classified as "Unimportant"?
>  And why wasn't the latter (and many like it) included in the category of
> its namespace?

> So, the "Special Assignment" for someone who has the permissions to do this
> (I don't) is to go through the white ones (at the very least) on the All
> docstrings page and reclassify as "Unimportant" those for which such a
> reclassification is appropriate.  Let be any that you're unsure of, but
> compile a list of 'em, and post it at the Q & A page for others to
> contribute their opinions (or expert decree).
>
> As for the categorizable uncategorized ones, unless someone tells me why
> they weren't categorized, I'll go ahead and do that.

There's a few different types of uncategorized docstrings:

- some that were overlooked. i think charrayarray and matrix can be two new
categories for example.
- the rst files that form the User Guide, can be left where they are for
now.
- methods of classes that are in a category (see for example broadcast),
those can be left where they are as well. they can easily be done together
with the class, but there's no need to stuff them in existing categories.
- things like testing and distutils. it's important that they get documented
at some point, but they are not very accessible topics and not as urgent as
many of the categories. fine where they are.
- some unimportant ones. there really are not that many of them.

The one big group of docstrings I'm not sure about is everything in
numpy.generic. They are all undocumented and the source is not available in
the wiki. Anyone know what to do with those?

Cheers,
Ralf