[SciPy-dev] generic.base

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 01:50:21 EDT 2009

Hi!  I'm working on the Scalar Base Class category and, after a little bit of a shaky start, I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.  I wanted to see for my self whether or not generic.base is "settable" (i.e., after object creation), so I instantiated an np.complex64 object, ala

    g = np.complex64(1)

and then tried various ways (e.g., h=g.copy(), h=g.view(), h=g.real, h=g.imag) to create a view of g (i.e., create an object that shared its memory), but in all cases h.base returned None, meaning, IIUC, h is _not_ a view of (does not share memory with) g.  So my questions are: are objects derived from generic "viewable"; is so, how; if not, why the base property?

Thanks!

DG