[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:40:43 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> On 01/29/09 10:40, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> I am not sure I understand the parts concerning VTK and weave
>> interactions; one one hand, I think we should remove as much as
>> possible anything with complicated dependencies in scipy, but removing
>> this feature (as any other feature) means breaking scipy for some
>> people.
>
> While I understand the frustrations with weave and the lack of developer
> interest, the vtk support is entirely optional and should not as such
> affect your decision to retain or remove weave from scipy.

It won't be my decision, but there is an inherent support problem
everytime you add a new dependency to a project. It has a developement
cost, and I don't think scipy has that many people working on it for
the amount of code already there.

The fact that it is optional has nothing to do with it - unless
optional means you can break it at any time, but I doubt that's what
you meant :)

David