[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 28 22:54:05 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
> <prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, testing this requires the use of nasty external
>> resources.  In particular it requires that VTK be installed and that
>> weave be told where to find the VTK headers and libraries.  In any case,
>> I modified the paths suitably in the example corresponding to my
>> system's VTK setup and it seems to work fine -- note that I'm using
>> version 0.6.0 that ships with Ubuntu rather than SVN.
>>

> This speaks in favor of distributing the package separately from SciPy.

I know there has been a lot of disagreement with me on this before,
but I am very much in favor of splitting weave into its own project
entirely.  It doesn't belong in scipy.  Over the last year, Stefan,
David, and I spent a fair amount of time on fixing issues with weave
because we wanted to get scipy released.  It slowed down the release
and diverted effort that could have been spent on other parts of
scipy, which also need attention!

If one of the people interested in keeping weave in scipy would step
forward and maintain it, I would be more than happy to keep quiet
about my reservations on keeping weave in scipy.  If you want weave to
stay in scipy, please step up and help fix bugs, add tests, improve
the documentation, and refactor the code to make it easier to maintain
and support!