[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Sun Jan 25 12:31:03 EST 2009

Hi Stéfan,

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> 2009/1/8 Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in>:
>> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> As the author of the VTK weave wrapper, I object. I can't revert since I
>> do not have SVN access to scipy/numpy.  What the VTK wrapper for weave
>> does is let you embed c++ code which operates on a VTK Python object.
>> This is not something that TVTK does or provides for at all.  I think it
>> is useful functionality that is not available anywhere else and should
>> not be removed.
>
> Thanks for your input, I'll add it back.  Would you please help us to
> document and test it?

Well, there is a simple example in weave/examples/vtk_example.py.  That
example should be fairly informative. :)

Unfortunately, testing this requires the use of nasty external
resources.  In particular it requires that VTK be installed and that
weave be told where to find the VTK headers and libraries.  In any case,
I modified the paths suitably in the example corresponding to my
system's VTK setup and it seems to work fine -- note that I'm using
version 0.6.0 that ships with Ubuntu rather than SVN.

I hope this helps.

cheers,
prabhu