[SciPy-dev] Improving the bug tracking workflow: starting document

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:44:40 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I connected my eclipse mylyn with the scipy trac tickets and have
>> tickets that are assigned to me on my local computer where I can mark
>> them as read or unread. But for now I like the web interface better.
>
> Different people, different workflows :) Web-UI is of course a must,
> that's definitely easier for newcomers anyway (no need to install
> anything). Some things could be improved in the WEB-UI as well: batch
> editing, for example, is something I really like with redmine -
> reassigning things in batch has to be done through SQL I believe.
>
>> Also, since David mentioned sql queries in another thread, I set up a
>> report that sorts tickets by change time. It helps to see which
>> tickets where recently commented on. But since this is the first time,
>> I do this, and I'm not very familiar with sql, this still needs
>> improvements.
>
> With trac 0.11, there will be no much need for SQL: there is finally a
> user-friendly interface for advanced queries with trac macro systems.
> This does not help much for batch editing, though. Maybe we will have
> to implement our own plugin to trac if we stay with trac.
>
> David

>From what I have seen from a quick look at the new trac 0.11.3, it still
doesn't allow custom queries sorted by changedate. So it will still
be useful to set up a set of reports by changedate and milestone or
version or component as in http://trac.edgewall.org/report

Do you mean the ticket query macro for the wiki or is there some other
way for doing advanced queries? I didn't find the ticket query macro
very useful for my own use since it doesn't provide the nice table.

The XML-RPC interface to trac might work quite well for scripting, this
is also how eclipse/mylyn synchronizes with the trac tickets.

To eclipse usage: I used it, together with svn integration, quite a bit for
pure python packages. Since I build and install scipy into new
directories each time, I find the workspace concept of eclipse a bit
cumbersome, and if I'm not sure how thinks work, I just work with
the Idle shell. But since eclipse is distributed with pythonxy, there
might be more users of eclipse.

Josef