[SciPy-dev] PEP: Improving the basic statistical functions in Scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:57:36 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:47,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> After, the changes to the current statistical function, I was
> considering areas of statistics that have partial but incomplete
> coverage. Non-parametric tests are well represented, and I have some
> extension for tests for discrete distributions. I think ANOVA, which I
> never used myself, has a very incomplete collection, which, I guess is
> a historical accident since Gary Strangman had, I think more ANOVA
> functions that are not included in stats.

It's no accident. I removed it. It was a big monster function. Gary
had a big disclaimer on it saying that it basically worked for the use
case he had at the time, but it was far from a good general
implementation. It printed things without being asked. No one knew if
it actually worked. Gary removed it from later versions of his code,
etc.

Some of use decided that it was better for someone with an interest in
ANOVA to reimplement it from scratch.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."