Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:22:13 EST 2009

Hi there,

I've only just subscribed to this list (after following on GMANE-RSS)
because I wanted to contribute to the discussion.  I'd like to echo
Perry's first point below, and add on some specific concerns I have
about the entire workflow discussion.

An aspect I worry is being overlooked is that in some communities
change comes rather slowly.  I have helped out a number of people with
user-space deployment of Python packages, and the biggest impediment
is -- as with many things -- installation.  I worry that if the
release schedule of SciPy doesn't speed up substantially, accessing
source control will be the primary means of getting the code.
Installing git and mercurial (and maybe Bazaar, but I've had the most
trouble with that) into some user-space area is not difficult, but it
adds on another layer of overhead.  Until all of the supercomputing
centers provide DVCS, users (and developers!) targeting deployment
there will have yet another barrier to entry for using SciPy.  (And as
a result, they may fall back on old habits: IDL, for instance.)  To
that end, I'd like to strongly and plaintively request that some kind
of mirror in SVN, or even archived nightly tarballs, be kept of the
primary tree of development.

Those concerns aside, I think that anything that reduces the barrier
to entry for developers is likely to be a great boon to SciPy.  For
me, the biggest barrier to using and deploying SciPy is still
installation, but in recent months that has become substantially
easier -- largely due to the efforts by everyone here.  (That being
said, I do know that some of my colleagues do on occasion still
struggle with the installation process.)

Thanks for listening.  :)

-Matt