[SciPy-dev] cleaning out wiki spam

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:46:07 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Peter Wang <pwang at enthought.com> wrote:

> In my wild grepping it's possible I've blown away some good pages.
> I'm including my list of patterns below, so folks can identify major
> or obvious problems.  The sketchiest (but also the most effective) was
> eliminating pages with '(2b)', but I recognize that was a pretty broad
> stroke.

> power*
> Power*

I would at least double check these.  Things like 'power spectrum'
could have ended up killed by this one. The others look pretty safe.

In passing, I'll mention how we eventually got rid of the ipython wiki
spam.  We made the wiki read-only for authenticated users, with only
those listed here:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/WritersGroup

being allowed to write.  Anyone who asks is added immediately to this
list, so the barrier is low for legitimate contributions, and any of
these people:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/EditorsGroup

can edit the writers list.  This way it's easy to ensure there will be
always someone around who can add writers with minimal delay for real
contributions, while keeping the spammers out.

It may be that with the new moin this approach isn't necessary, but
for ipython it was the only way to finally eliminate the spam problem.
 And it did, 100%.

Cheers,