David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Tue Feb 24 02:49:11 EST 2009

<stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:
> > 2009/2/24 Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi>:
> > > I'm wondering if we would benefit from an official, pull-only,
> > > automatically updating, Git mirror of the SVN repository:
> >
> > I'm still wondering what the advantages are of staying with SVN.  I
> > haven't heard any compelling arguments so far, whereas we've heard
> > numerous accounts from developers regarding the positive aspects of
> > DVC systems.
>
> Decent windows support via Tortoise

Then why not using mercurial?

- it is written in Python (which people on this list should consider as a
strong and valuable argument :-),
- it has many extensions (there are easy to write, since it's Python code),
- it has a decent win32 integration (with TortoiseHg),
- IIRC, Trac now supports Hg,
- it is probably easier to learn than git (even if this latter has greatly
improved in this area).

> and no need to learn a new system.

Sometimes one realizes that he should have learned the new stuff long before.
IMHO, DVCS do exactly fall into this category ;-)

David

--
David Douard                        LOGILAB, Paris (France), +33 1 45 32 03 12
Formations Python, Zope, Debian :   http://www.logilab.fr/formations