Jonathan Guyer guyer at nist.gov
Mon Feb 23 13:23:09 EST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 1:10 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> svn cp trunk -> branch
> svnmerge switch branch
> svnmerge init trunk
> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
> svn switch trunk
> svnmerge init branch
> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt

Ahah.  The answer to that is, don't use svnmerge. I tried it after you
told me about it on this list and it's a disaster, at least from our
perspective. We have a protocol for merges <http://matforge.org/fipy/browser/trunk/documentation/ADMINISTRATA.txt
 >, based directly on the guidance of the The SVN Book, and it works
very well. I was prepared to concede to you that *merging* changes
takes way too many steps, but you said "create a branch", which piqued
my curiosity.

While svnmerge appeared to dramatically simplify all of the tagging
and commenting that we presently have to do, in practice I found that
it made a complete hash of things. I have no doubt that it could be
used safely, but I don't believe that it actually saves any effort
over doing it manually. As a case in point, seven steps for what
should only be one.

> Ok, that's 7 :)

J'accuse!  8^)