[SciPy-dev] some new ode solvers

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 05:38:53 EST 2009

OK the new solvers were commited in revision 5589. On the api re-design
I have some notes below:

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> I'd perhaps like to see:
> - All integrators moved to classes (with CamelCase names).
>  If you want to use eg. the ZVODE solver, you'd instantiate 'Zvode'
>  class.

+1

> - The 'integrate' method would support getting multiple time points at
>  once.
> - There'd also be thin wrapper functions (with lowercase names), e.g.
>  'zvode' that would allow all solvers to have a simple odeint-type
>  interface.
> - Both of the current 'ode' and 'odeint' interfaces would be dropped in
>  Scipy 1.0, and deprecated before that.

+1, I too thought the api could be much cleaner.

One extra convenience 'feature' would be to have wrappers to use the
real data solvers with complex input. For my stuff at least I find vode or
dopri5, with the problem split into real and imaginary parts, with the
translatation occuring at each step (with more then 2**15 points),
considerably faster than the full system under zvode.
It would be easy to supply wrappers which converted the data to/from
the rhs function and input data.