[SciPy-dev] Server problems: resetting with cronjob?

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:40:20 EST 2009

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:11:52PM -0600, Peter Wang wrote:
>> Lately the server has been experiencing abnormally high load, and we
>> are devoting resources now to transitioning services from it to the
>> new hardware at conference.scipy.org.  Today I will start working on
>> moving the mailman mailing lists over, and then I will coordinate with
>> admins of individual subdomains to move the websites, trac, and svn
>> repositories to the new hardware.
>
> I am just wondering if this will change anything. I'd like to know where
> these high loads are coming from. I am afraid the same probems will come
> up with the new server.
>
> A maybe unrelated fact: the spammers are really devastating the moin
> instance. I don't know what to do about this. Cleaning it up takes ages,
> especially with how reactive it is. :(.

Hi,

two tips of fighting spammers from the Sage project's wiki:

  * add a list of common Chinese words to LocalBadContent, i.e.

http://wiki.sagemath.org/LocalBadContent

Also make sure to clean out all the spammer attempts on the hard disk.
I.e I deleted 6,000 directories in "pages" of the Cython wiki since Spam
attempts are preserved and not actually deleted from disk. If you have a
couple ten thousand of those in one directory this might make every wiki
access painfully slow and impact the whole server.

  * upgrade to the latest moin moin release and activate the question
captcha. Spam has dropped to zero in the last 3 months since we used it.

> Gaël

Cheers,

Michael