[SciPy-dev] matlab io - request for testing

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 04:01:39 EST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been beating up the matlab io rather severely in order to
>> implement some cleanups, fixes, and add new options.
>>
>> I would very much appreciate it if people could pick up the current
>> SVN and let me know whether they have any problems.
>
> I finally got a chance to test with my nasty file, and with r5561, it
> now takes ~32 minutes of cpu time to load (as compared to ~5 minutes
> for 0.7.0, and 3 seconds for 0.6.0). All the time is in
> zlibstreams.py:read.

Could you check current SVN again and see how it works?

I've sped up zlibstreams and it's now saving memory on the read, at
about a 12% drop in speed, now I think due to the overhead of the
single extra function calls on many small reads.

I'm unsure whether I want to leave zlibstreams in.  It has the
advantage of making skipping variables much faster and more memory
efficient, and maybe some increase in memory efficiency as the
variable is read, but still, the small performance penalty is
annoying.

Best,

Matthew