[SciPy-dev] Bessel functions from Boost

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:25:37 EST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

Hi David,

<SNIP>

> This is much better - I really don't see the point of using C++ for
> math functions. I am ok with this.
>
> David

Out of curiosity: I checked the boost website and it states for the math
lib:

"All the implementations are fully generic and support the use of
arbitrary "real-number" types, although they are optimised for use with
types with known-about significand (or mantissa) sizes: typically float,
double or long double."

Since I assume some people around here are interested in arbitrary
precisions and after looking some more at the documentation it seems
that that library only supports this via using an NTL type which in turn
uses GMP. NTL itself is GPLed, GMP is LGPL, so either one does not fit
the licensing requirements of Scipy.

David mentioned to write a library from scratch and I also assume that
you want arbitrary precisions. Given that GMP is LGPL, the arbitrary
precisions code in OpenSSL is covered by a BSD advertising clause (which
might or might not be a deal breaker around here) what do you suggest to
do about arbitrary precisions? I am not aware of any BSD 2 or 3 clause
license library besides mpmath :)

Cheers,

Michael