[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Announcing toydist, improving distribution and packaging situation

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:16:19 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Executable: grin
>>    module: grin
>>    function: grin_main
>>
>> Executable: grind
>>    module: grin
>>    function: grind_main
>
> Have you thought at all about operations that are currently performed
> by post-installation scripts? For example, it might be desirable for
> the ipython or MayaVi windows installers to create a folder in the
> Start menu that contains links the the executable and the
> documentation. This is probably a secondary issue at this point in
> toydist's development, but I think it is an important feature in the
> long run.
>
> Also, have you considered support for package extras (package variants
> in Ports, allowing you to specify features that pull in additional
> dependencies like traits[qt4])? Enthought makes good use of them in
> ETS, and I think they would be worth keeping.

Does this example covers what you have in mind ? I am not so familiar
with this feature of setuptools:

Name: hello
Version: 1.0

Library:
    BuildRequires: paver, sphinx, numpy
    if os(windows)
        BuildRequires: pywin32
    Packages:
        hello
    Extension: hello._bar
        sources:
            src/hellomodule.c
    if os(linux)
        Extension: hello._linux_backend
            sources:
                src/linbackend.c

Note that instead of os(os_name), you can use flag(flag_name), where
flag are boolean variables which can be user defined:

http://github.com/cournape/toydist/blob/master/examples/simples/conditional/toysetup.info

http://github.com/cournape/toydist/blob/master/examples/var_example/toysetup.info

David