[SciPy-dev] [announce] scikits.sparse v0.1, wrapper for CHOLMOD (and hopefully more)

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:57:29 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 04:00:21PM +0100, Robert Cimrman wrote:
>>> I would like to hear some feedback to my original naming style question,
>>> as I face same issues in my projects too. The question is about using
>>> function names that mix underscores with capital letters, e.g.
>>> solve_P(). This style is marked "bad" in the Python docs, but in linear
>>> algebra, matrices are commonly denoted by capital letters. So what do you
>>> think?
>>
>> Bad.
>
> Good.

Bad in general. (If you mix arrays and matrices it might be helpful
internally as a reminder.)

And I like informative names, where I don't need a book or paper to
follow the notation, and go back to the table of shortcut definitions
or docstrings every five minutes. My short term memory is too short to
remember what A,B,C, P, X, Y, ... and phi, psi, omega,... mean in
different contexts. But this depends on whether you program for
insiders or the general public.

Josef