[SciPy-dev] Tri-diagonal LAPACK Routines - Shall I interface them?

Benny Malengier benny.malengier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 03:43:12 EST 2009

2009/12/2 David Warde-Farley <dwf at cs.toronto.edu>:
> On 1-Dec-09, at 8:34 PM, Simon Clift wrote:
>
>> Is there a broader reason for not completing the interface?
>
> Nope. I think they were just wrapped on an as-needed basis. This came
> up a little while ago w.r.t. general banded systems as well:
>
>        http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2009-October/023083.html
>
>> Would anyone object if I went ahead and patched scipy/linalg/
>> generic_flapack.pyf to allow
>> the call?
>

> Doubtful. :) Although if you do, it might be a good idea to add a
> function to scipy.linalg with a comprehensible name (like
> solve_tridiagonal to go along with solve_banded [which actually does
> wrap dgbsv, my post there is wrong in that regard]).

Interesting, this is exactly the function I needed for my problem, but
I was looking in scipy.sparse.linalg, so did not notice banded matrix
solver was present in scipy.linalg.

In my logic, the "matrix diagonal orded form" of
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.linalg.solve_banded.html#scipy.linalg.solve_banded
would be a type of sparse matrix one can manipulate. This would allow
things like changing matrix diagonal orded form sparse matrix to a csr
matrix, adding some extra elements off the diagonals, and then calling
a more generic solver.

Benny