[SciPy-dev] setup.py sdist and bzr

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 13:15:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM, David Cournapeau<cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 7:39 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had problems including data files in the source distribution
>> generated with setup.py sdist .
>>
>> After spending some time with google, I figured out that
>> setuptools only includes files under svn version control by default,
>> but not under bzr
>>
>> config.add_data_files(filename)
>> config.add_data_dir('scikits/statsmodels/tests')
>>
>> worked with bdist_egg and bdist but not with sdist
>>
>> I finally added a MANIFEST.in  file with almost  include *
>>
>> Is the MANIFEST.in the only way or is there a better way similar to
>> the case with svn?
>
> I strongly advise you not to use this "feature" of setuptools. Using
> the source control system to decide which files to include brings a
> lot of trouble (it makes reproducing the same tarball very difficult,
> and strongly dependent on your environment).
>
> cheers,
>
> David

I assume you mean not use the automatic includes without MANIFEST.in

I'm still trying to figure out what the recommended way is, some
projects, scikits use the MANIFEST.in and some don't

from: http://www.scipy.org/scipy/scikits/wiki/ScikitsForDevelopers

Some more notes regarding setuptools ¶

    * setuptools is largely backwards-compatible to distutils, the old
distutils ways can also be used although setuptools does offer
preferred ways for doing several things (e.g. a MANFIEST.in file can
be used; however setuptools will use it directly (in conjunction with
VC info) and completely ignore the contents of the MANIFEST file that
distutils generates from it; typically neither is required though as
in the absence of a MANIFEST.in file setuptools will automatically
include all files under version control when building a source
distribution), the old distutils ways can also be used

I would have thought a MANIFEST.in is not necessary, since the data
files are already specified with add_data_files, and there are no
problems with egg or binary distribution.

If the MANIFEST.in is the recommended and, for non-svn users, the
required way, then we could update the recommendations in the wiki and
the example scikits at
http://projects.scipy.org/scikits/browser/trunk/example

Thanks,

Josef