[SciPy-dev] draft: NumPy User Guide introduction

Neil Crighton neilcrighton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:35:51 EDT 2009

Andrew Hawryluk <HAWRYLA <at> novachem.com> writes:

> I have posted a first draft of a NumPy User Guide introduction.
> Hopefully it is both useful and factually correct, but please jump in
> where you see room for improvement.
>
> I am assuming familiarity with Python programming, but no prior
> knowledge of NumPy.
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy-docs/user/introduction.rst/
>
> Andrew

It looks good, thanks for putting it together!

A nitpick - say 'dictionaries' rather than 'dicts'.

I think it would help to explicitly give a and b lists (something like
[1, 2, 3, 4]). This will give an example of a possible data type
(integers), and make the following examples more clear.

If this is going to be the first stop for anyone wanting to know what
numpy can do, it would also be great to give an example of reading
columns of data from a text file into arrays with np.genfromtxt.

Neil