[SciPy-dev] Idle (?) speculation about ndarray [was draft: NumPy User Guide introduction]

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 10:52:38 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 8/20/09, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:

> I like the idea of an ndarray being a concise description
> of bytes in
> memory.  At the moment, we have a couple of "special"
> methods attached
> to it, but we could just as well have added fewer or more,
> and
> personally I'd have preferred none.

Interesting, I see the appeal from an aesthetics stand point - I don't know enough about such things as: do you think it would have performance implications?  If so, could this be tested by instantiating an ndarray and then assigning None to all of it's attributes (or would you shed only the public methods but not the data attributes, properties, and private accessors on which they rely)?  Just speculating idly at this point.

DG