[SciPy-dev] Removing scipy.stsci was [Re: [Numpy-discussion] Deprecate chararray [was Plea for help]]

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Thu Aug 20 19:43:27 EDT 2009

I agree with David's comments.  In that theme I have removed
scipy.stsci from scipy.  Users get it directly from us at STScI via
STSCI_PYTHON.  It doesn't have any documentation in the doc system.
It isn't by default in the scipy namespace.  And as a recent bug
report indicates they can't import it anyway.

That should clean some code up.  If someday a generic image processing
library is added to scipy we can consider incorporating our modules
back into scipy.  Until that time I would rather remove the
redundancy.  It also help scipy's maintainability and frees me from
having to worry about a fork in the code developing.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christopher Hanley