[SciPy-dev] can I help with the docs?

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 18:17:09 EDT 2009

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Andrew Hawryluk <HAWRYLA at novachem.com> wrote:

> I would like something that briefly explains what NumPy and
> SciPy are,
> and why/when arrays are better than lists/dicts, perhaps
> followed by a
> brief tour of some common NumPy tricks, before diving into
> the more
> detailed sections.
>
> One possible table of contents would be
>
> Introduction
>   What is NumPy?
>   Building/Installing
>   Short Tour
>   How to find documentation
> NumPy Basics
>
> What direction were you thinking the User Guide would
> take?

Good question, especially as I don't think there's as clear a vision on that (certainly not as a matter of consensus) as yours is for what you want/need.  Personally, my "advice" to you would be: draft the document/sections you would like to see added - then you'll have what you want regardless of how/when it gets added to the "official" User Guide - and then post it (or a link to it) here to be vetted, if you want.  That said,

http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy-docs/user/index.rst/

is the link to the Wiki (pydocweb) interface for editing the official User Guide, and you're more than welcome to add your content that way; of course, for better or worse, that's a Wiki, so whatever you add there will be subject to review and edit (but that's going to be true for any contribution to the official doc, of course).  Note that there you'll find a link to a section titled "NumPy Basics" w/ further links to sub-sections "types," "array creation," "indexing," and so forth - if that content is *not* what you've already read (there's a lot of doc in the Wiki - anything that's not past the proof stage, basically - that's pending inclusion in anything official) be sure to look it over, as it may already contain some (much?) of what you're after.  Thanks again,

DG

PS: If your original email was (primarily) intended to have someone grant you edit permissions, I'm afraid I haven't been granted that power yet, so you'll have to wait until someone who does, does.