[SciPy-dev] can I help with the docs?

Andrew Hawryluk HAWRYLA at novachem.com
Tue Aug 11 16:08:30 EDT 2009

Good question. I'll let you know what I was thinking, and then you can
tell me if I've misunderstood the documentation objectives.

Each year I train a new set of engineering internship students in our
department, and one of the things they learn is Python.  Upon arriving
here they have taken a single course on C++ and another on
Matlab/Mathematica/Excel etc., but no Python.  I usually start them off
reading "Dive Into Python", but I'd also like a single place to send
them to get a brief tour of proper NumPy use.  The main NumPy & SciPy
docs are excellent (and improving rapidly), but they start a bit too
abruptly for my needs. For example, the NumPy User Guide currently start
with installation instructions, and then the next page of body text is a
table of all the available array types.

I would like something that briefly explains what NumPy and SciPy are,
and why/when arrays are better than lists/dicts, perhaps followed by a
brief tour of some common NumPy tricks, before diving into the more
detailed sections.

One possible table of contents would be

Introduction
  What is NumPy?
  Building/Installing
  Short Tour
  How to find documentation
NumPy Basics

What direction were you thinking the User Guide would take?

Andrew

Wiki.