[SciPy-dev] SciPy Foundation

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:25:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM, David
Cournapeau<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> [...]
> accessible. I (and I guess other developers) are definitely interested
> in a more product-like, integrated stack, to make the barrier of entry
> lower. I for example am really tired of the installation problems
> consistently reported. I feel like we cover mac os x and windows pretty
> well now, but the linux situation is still dreadful. I have a few ideas
> on how to improve the situation, but they all requires quite a bit of
> work/infrastructure. I hope that soon, the scenario "I see this cool
> python script on the internet, it requires this numpy/scipy thing, can I
> try it in 2 minutes ?" will be a reality.
>
>> Then you really get some "killer applications". I could name a few
>> people who are coding some cool state of the art algorithms but waste
>> so much time because they started coding directly in C++. In the
>> meantime, they could have implemented the algorithms in Python _and_
>> in C++. If scipy had something really good that Matlab etc. do not
>> have: guess what ppl would do....
>>

> Yes, there are a lot of people who still don't know that there are
> languages outside Fortran, C and C++. In my field, I still see some
> people who implement parsers in C...
>
>> 1) an easy, modular and flexible build system (fortran, c, c++, D,
>> swig, boost:python, cython,...)
>>

> you mean like numscons :) ? Adding D support to numscons should be easy.
> For example, I added initial cython support in a couple of minutes
> during the cython talk at SciPy08, adding new languages is relatively
> easy thanks to scons.
>
>> 2) very low entry barrier for possible contributors:
>>   a simple checkout, then  ./manage.py startapp  mycoolmodule
>>   and everything is ready to go ( "Start coding in 5 minutes!")
>>

> there are various pieces to enable this (in place build, develop command
> of setuptools, virtualenv/pip/easy_install), but yes, the situation is
> kind of messy. For scikits, that's not so difficult  - you should be
> able to implement a trivial scikit by copying the scikits.example
> package and starting from there.
>
> One problem is that it is technically impossible to build in place and
> test in one go because of a nose limitation ATM (for some reason, nose
> fails to import a package if it is in the current directory).
>
>> 3) a distributed version control system (e.g. git). SVN really scares me off...
>>

> That's a sensitive issue, I think we should avoid starting this one here
> :) Needless to say, you can use git-svn - several core developers use it
> for numpy/scipy dev, and we distribute an official import:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browse_git
>
> At least I have not touched svn for numpy/scipy development for > 6
> months now, except to check releases when I tag them.
>
>> 4) standardized unit tests
>>

> What do you mean exactly here ? We use nose for testing, what do you
> consider "non standard".
>
>> 5) automated documentation generation
>>

> It is almost automated now - but an example for scikits is missing in

Just enumerating what I think would be useful to attract high quality
contributors.  I'm aware that scipy has already  a lot of the features
(which is nice).
But it would be even nicer to have a really low entry barrier and have
a framework that guides you to write good (and documented) code with
extensive unit tests, just like the big web frameworks (Django, RoR,
...)
It has to be a win-win situation for both the community and the developer.