[SciPy-dev] SciPy Foundation

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 14:58:11 EDT 2009

--- On Sun, 8/2/09, Tommy Grav <tgrav at mac.com> wrote:

> I don't think that Joe and I are that far apart either. My
> point (very
> badly formulated) was
> that trying to make scipy be a replacement for IDL or
> matlab is in my
> opinion not the right
> goal. IDL in particular has a lot of field specific code
> available in
> it. I would like to see a
> structure where scipy provides the underlaying code needed
> by many
> fields (like the
> Numerical Recipes codes) but stay away from providing field
> specific
> code. Also scipy
> should not venture into GUI or provide an interactive
> environment like
> IDL (there are
> other packages that provide this).
>
> Just my opinion
>     Tommy Grav

OK, that helps. :-)

Fine goal (between the two, I choose to remain neutral for now), but one comment: you say avoid a GUI, but the kind of "tool set" you describe would greatly benefit from (dare I say require) some sort of UI that makes it "easy" for the uninitiated (at the very least) to find the specific resources they need; IMO, for example, the UI LAPACK provides for this is a good example of how *not* to do it.

DG