[SciPy-dev] Gsoc summer student

ross smith rjsm at umich.edu
Fri Apr 24 03:23:29 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,
I've been accepted by Google summer of code this year.   I'm a junior at
University of Michigan  Ann arbor studying physics.  I've been 'programming'
since high school.  I began with some short programs in quickbasic.  after
coming to college I've picked up python and been working with it for a
couple years.

I've helped maintain a python codebase for a research lab here and was one
of two students that worked on porting it to Py3k.   My other programming
projects have mostly involved additions to the codebase for labs I've worked
for and an odd bugfix or patch for programs I use frequently.

I'm going to be spending the first part of the summer, getting familiar with
the codebase for SciPy.Signal and doing some cleanup and bug hunting.   The
second part will be focused on improving SciPy.signal and filling some of
the gaps in functionality between SciPy.signal and matlab's signal
processing toolbox.

I usually idle on freenode as gaurdro and aim as gaurdro1 if anyone wants to
talk.

best,

Ross