[SciPy-dev] the scipy mission, include finite element solver

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:00:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:

> So it's clear that besides scipy itself, there should be a all in one
> solution, like EPD (commercial), Sage (GPL), or SPD (GPL, but in
> principle if all the Sage scripts are rewritten, could be BSD) that I
> am working on.

I am not sure it is that clear. If you take one of the most successful
open source software for numerical computation, R, they have a totally
opposite solution: CRAN. They don't integrate anything themselves, but
you have ~2000 packages for extremely specialized tools. It is easier
for R than for us, because they can do whatever they want to make it
happen, whereas we have to play well with other tools, since we are
python.

cheers,

David