[SciPy-dev] Scipy Compile and Testing Problem from SVN

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Apr 11 17:45:43 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 02:17:06PM -0400, Skipper Seabold wrote:
> First before I get into the last few things that I can think of, sorry
> for all the questions.  If the next few steps don't work, I am open to
> switching Linux distributions and seeing if I have more luck because I
> am about at the end of my abilities (and time constraint).  I have
> seen that Debian-based distributions are usually better for Scipy and
> the extensions.  Is there a particular "flavor" that is popular for
> Scipy developers?

Stick with mainstream: use Debian or Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu on most of my boxes, because I like the 6 months release
strategy. Debian stable is usually too old for me (although I do run one
of my server under it). I've also had good experiences with Debian
unstable, though I find it lack the polish of Ubuntu, and is very
slightly more of a moving target.

I should point out that some people of the community are doing hard work
to make Debian (and thus indirectly Ubuntu) an excellent scientific
computing platform.

Gaël