[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] Question including a boundary value problem solver in SciPy

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 05:23:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM, John Salvatier
<jsalvati at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I have
> wrapped a boundary value problem solver based on the Fortran code
> BVP_SOLVER. The PyPi page is here, and I have a tutorial for it here.

scipy-dev. I have cross-posted this reply. Please respond to the
scipy-dev thread.

> I am interested in integrating this into SciPy, so I have two questions: 1)
> Does this type of thing belong in SciPy? 2) if it is, what are the steps to
> getting this included in into SciPy?

Hi John,

This would be a very welcome addition!

I also made a wrapper for this code a few years back. Apart from the
license issues, which it sounds like you are solving, the main problem
with direct inclusion is that it is written in fortran 90, which scipy
currently does not depend on.

At the time I was told that making it a scikit would be the best
option for inclusion, and I think that is still true. This allows
scipy to still be independent of fortran 90 code. On the other hand,
as gfortran is now getting more stable and reasonably fast maybe it is
time to re-visit this issue.

Given that over the past two years I haven't made any moves to
actually make a scikit, then I guess you have more momentum to go
ahead with this. Note that there is a different boundary bvalue
problem solver available
(http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/software/bvp/index.html), it would be
nice if both were combined into a single scikit.

Cheers,
John