[SciPy-dev] installing openopt

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:57:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 15:30, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko at scipy.org> wrote:
> I have noticed one more openopt installation issue with latest numpy:
>
> modifying any single line in openopt's sources and then running "python
> setup.py install" now recompiles all openopt's files. Even if there were
> no changes at all, anyway all OO files are recompiled. Taking into
> account that I run this dozens times per day it's very annoying, and my
> increases danger for my HDD. Of course I could use OO without "python
> setup.py install" but this is inconvenient because of some reasons (I
> had already tried)

For development, I recommend "python setup.py develop". That way, you
don't have to rebuild or install anything. Or you can use the

python setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --record=/dev/null

and then you shouldn't see unnecessary recompiles.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco