[SciPy-dev] Are Creative Commons licenses acceptable for scipy ?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Sep 23 09:14:22 EDT 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I would like to include some small audio samples in my talkbox
> scikits, and I found a set of samples from the OLPC project available
> under the CC Attribution 3.0 unported license. Is this an acceptable
> license for scipy (if some code is to be included in scipy at some point) ?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Others may weigh in here of course.  But, from my perspective that
license seems fine.  There is some under-specification of the license in
that we must make attribution as required by the author.

If the attribution requirement is particularly obnoxious (i.e. your
"program" must have a "plugin" that shows my name), then that will be
difficult.   If, however, all that is needed is a README in the
directory that shows where it came from, then no problem at all.

-Travis