[SciPy-dev] [MAJOR BUG] latest numpy leads to scikits fail [was: installing openopt]

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko at scipy.org
Mon Sep 22 08:45:48 EDT 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
> dmitrey wrote:
>
>> I guess now "python setup.py install" forms Python egg (previously there
>> was a simple copying of Python files to installation directory)
>>

> Yes, this is true unfortunately.
>
>> , and
>> openopt can't find path to a solver. Dictionary with the paths to
>> *_oo.py files  is formed via os.walk() during start of openopt session,
>> and os.walk can't handle situation with eggs.
>>

> You need to change this, I guess, but for the time being, you can tell
> setuptools install to avoid using eggs (I personally always install
> scikits this way, since I want to avoid eggs on my system, and this
> works well):
>
> python setup.py install --prefix=foo --single-version-externally-managed
> --record=/dev/null

1. This is valid for Linux only, while OO users expect to have other
OSes as well.
2. Users usually just type "python setup.py install" and don't read any
install instructions. It would be nice to put the options into setup.py
file (or mb setup.cgf).

Do you have any idea how to do the trick?
Regards, D.