[SciPy-dev] [patch] read/write v5 .mat files with structs, cell arrays, objects, or function handles

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:37:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi Ray
>
> 2008/10/1 Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis at broad.mit.edu>:
>> These changes were to make the scipy<->matlab mapping more explicit.
>> The changes to the string type probably don't break any existing code.
>>  The changes to the struct & matlab objects probably do.  It's
>> possible to make both of these backward compatible, if that's a
>> priority.  We're looking for feedback on that (or any other) issue.
>
> Thank you for improving the SciPy IO capabilities!  Before we go
> ahead, would you kindly do the following:

Would it be possible for this to wait after 0.7 ? More exactly, I
would like to keep the current behavior of 0.7, with a deprecation
warning, and maybe the new code available through some mechanism to
adapt (and would replace in 0.8). Even if scipy is not considered
stable, I think we should allow at least one version for deprecation.

cheers,

David