[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.spatial

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 1 10:15:46 EDT 2008

Jonathan Guyer wrote:

> We keep things simple. We release from the trunk and strive to do all
> development on branches from the trunk. I don't believe we've ever
> branched a branch and I don't think we'd ever want to.

My remark was general: I am one of the most (too, I guess) vocal about
switching from svn to something which handles merge correctly on the ML,
and wanted to clarify why it is not really a problem in Anne's case, and
how people use svnmerge on numpy as documented (since it is quite easy
to screw up the first time you do it without any documentation).

>  The keys to
> keeping things manageable for us are (1) disciplined commenting and
> (2) merging *from* the trunk to the branches on a pathologically
> regular basis. If you don't do the latter, then when you do try to
> merge your branch to the trunk, you can have an insurmountable amount
> of work facing you.

Whatever works best for you, of course.

cheers,

David