[SciPy-dev] scipy.linalg.qr deprecation warning

Tiziano Zito opossumnano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:34:43 EST 2008

Hi guys,

when using scipy.linalg.qr without specifying any keyword argument
the user gets the following warning:

 DeprecationWarning: qr econ argument will be removed after scipy
 0.7. The economy transform will then be available through the
 mode='economic' argument.

While I appreciate the idea of warning users of future API changes,
I think emitting a warning even if the function has been called without
specifying the "econ" argument is a bit too much. The user may not
even know what "econ" stands for.
What about setting "econ=None" by default and

- if the user specified "econ" explicitly, emit the warning and set
  econ according to user preference
- if the user did not specify "econ", set it to the current default,
  i.e. False

?

If no one objects, I will do the needed changes myself tomorrow.

tiziano