[SciPy-dev] the state of scipy unit tests

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 23 22:32:40 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> scipy.stats.
> I appreciate the fact that rigorous testing on this module takes time,
> but 4 minutes on a 2.4GHz Core 2 system is unreasonable.  IMO 20
> seconds is a reasonable upper bound.  Essential tests that don't meet
> this time constraint should be filtered out of the default test suite.

I agree.  Josef asked whether he should reduce the number of tests run
bu default and I (perhaps mistakenly) said that he should focus on
fixing broken code and writing new tests before we released the first
beta.  I was thinking that it would be best to have as many tests run
by default for the beta release.  It would probably be better to
enable all the tests by default for tagged beta and rc releases, but
not the development trunk.  Ideas?

As soon as the beta is released, we should focus on reducing the time
required to run the default test suite.

> scipy.weave
> Takes 2.5 minutes and litters my screen with a few hundred lines like,
> /tmp/tmpcRI5WR/sc_3a5c7ad3ac45a98d03cd9168232f7d8f1.cpp:618: warning:
> deprecated conversion from
> and dumps a bunch of .cpp and .so files in the current working directory.

I find that annoying too.

> I'd like to be able to run the entire battery of tests in about a
> minute with minimal unnecessary output.

+1, let's make this a focus for post-beta1 attention.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley