[SciPy-dev] arpack wrapper status

Aric Hagberg hagberg at lanl.gov
Fri Nov 14 18:07:15 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 06:45:46PM -0500, Nathan Bell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >> Did they refuse to re-license ARPACK under something explicitly
> >> compatible?
> >
> > I don't know. One should ask the arpack developers.
> >

> Aric, do you want to take the lead on this one?  If not, I can give it a try.
>
> I'm not sure what is required from them.  Does an email stating "we
> agree to release ARPACK under the standard, three-clause BSD license"
> suffice?

I exchanged email with Professor Sorensen and explained the issue
with the current ARPACK license.

He is definitely concerned about this and committed to do the work to
relicense.  This will be no small amount of work for him so I want to make
sure we get it right.

His intent is that ARPACK should be able to be used everywhere LAPACK
is used and suggested licensing it that way.  My understanding is that
the current LAPACK license is exactly the 3-clause BSD ("modified
BSD") so that is what I suggested.  T

Please let me know if there is anything I am missing here.

Aric