[SciPy-dev] arpack wrapper status

Aric Hagberg hagberg at lanl.gov
Tue Nov 11 10:36:33 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:13:39PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > I think this ticket should be closed:
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/231
> >
> > I know that there is still work planned on this, but it might be more
> > appropriate to create a new ticket to enhance the arpack wrapper.  It
> > would also be great if Aric (or someone else) could go ahead and an
> > entry to the release notes:
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/milestone/0.7.0
>
> Some issues were solved (mac os X segfaults, in particular), but not
> everything in that ticket above has been addressed AFAIK. There is a
> general issue related to arpack and other 'core' Fortran libraries
> which I would like to see solved in a more general, systematic way in
> scipy (after 0.7 of course).

I agree that
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/231
can be closed and another ticket can be opened for further enhancements.
Thanks to David for figuring out the LAPACK issues needed to solve the
OSX segfaults.

I don't have MILESTONE_MODIFY privileges on the wiki - here is
some text for the release notes:

== New sparse eigensolver ==

A new wrapper to the ARPACK eigensolver provides functions to compute
a few eigenvalues and eigenvectors of general n by n sparse matrices.

http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/sparse/linalg/eigen/arpack

Aric