[SciPy-dev] Technology Previews and Sphinx Docstring Annotations

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:16:23 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Damian Eads <eads at soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> I'm on the train so I'll be short. I agree with Anne's concerns.
>
> There are lots of proposals being circulated for fairly extensive
> community review panels, paperwork, and refactoring without any real
> evidence of who is going to do the work. Many of us start writing new
> SciPy packages simply because they are related to our own research.
> Expecting huge participation toward a 1.0 release with a potentially
> unpassable barrier to entry for new code is hard sell to me as a
> developer.

I agree with this. We don't have nearly enough people working on scipy to
support that sort of structure. At best we have a few folks interested in a
particular module. If at some future time we have more people then things
can change, but at the moment the problem is getting more people involved
and the best way to do that is to make things easy. I think we should let
things evolve incrementally and not spend a lot of time planning social
organizations.

<snip>

Chuck