[SciPy-dev] Technology Previews and Sphinx Docstring Annotations

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:16:41 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Anne Archibald
<aarchiba at physics.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> If people want to make the scikits option reasonable, I suggest,
> instead of arguing on the mailing list, going out and getting things
> set up so it really is easy to add packages. *Then* come back and tell
> us how it's a better option than what we have now. In the meantime, we
> can either go on with the approach we have - live with occasional API
> breakage for new components of scipy - or spend an evening getting
> scipy.preview set up.

I completely agree.  Scikits is not a viable incubator at the moment.

IMO that someone is willing to maintain a submodule of SciPy is far
more important than matters of API stability.

I'd argue that scipy.spatial should exist in SciPy 0.7 so people
actually use the thing.  A disclaimer in the docstring is sufficient
warning.  Those that ignore the warning are still better off than they
would have been without the code in the first place.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/