[SciPy-dev] Technology Previews and Sphinx Docstring Annotations

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 4 03:58:59 EST 2008

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> 2008/11/4  <jh at physics.ucf.edu>:
>
>> Numpy and scipy should never be places for experimentation.
>>

> There is some agreement that scikits is the right place for
> experimentation, but unfortunately they aren't easy to install (Or,
> rather, the procedure isn't optimal or clear.  The problem requires
> both technical and marketing attention.).  It  means that the exposure
> of beta packages is currently very low, so we seldom get the feedback
> required in time.

Yes, that's a big problem for the scikits. But if we had a windows build
machine for automated binary build, it would largely alleviate the
problem, no ? Here is the main page for this on CRAN:

http://cran.r-project.org/

If we had the same system, such as you could simply upload your package
tarball, and it would give you back a windows installer (then available
on pypi), it would make installation quite smooth. Even smoother than
with scipy, actually, since you could release a binary at any point.

cheers,

David