[SciPy-dev] a modest proposal for technology previews

Olivier Grisel olivier.grisel at ensta.org
Tue Nov 4 03:19:54 EST 2008

2008/11/4 David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
> Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>>
>> Currently Eggs + pypi don't work well-enough for compiled code. There is
>> a famous "sandbox violation" bug that strikes every so and then when
>> installing source packages that have to be builts. It may be a due to a
>> bad interaction between numpy.distutils and setuptools.
>
> Let's not go into the setuptools debate, please. I think I am in a
> relatively good position to know about distutils/setuptools
> idiosyncraties. Pypi is independant of setuptools, and can already help
> quite a bit for the source release part. I think to say: grab this
> tarball from pypi is quite a big step toward easier installation
> compared to use svn.
>
> It could be a good policy to tell people developing scikits to upload
> sources to pypi whenever they do a release (I am as guilty as other in
> that department).

As a scikit user, +1 for using pypi more systematically for scikit
releases (being source only release without setuptools if setuptools
is unable to manage the binary properly). I think it would help
scikits gain more visibility in the python community as a whole and
hence scipy too. The pypi RSS feed is relayed on various (sometimes
manually postfiltered) aggregators and it can help gain a lot of
pagerank.

--
Olivier