[SciPy-dev] docs.scipy.org -- new site for the documentation marathon

jh at physics.ucf.edu jh at physics.ucf.edu
Sun Nov 2 22:07:55 EST 2008

Pauli Virtanen wrote:

> Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:16:14 -0400, jh wrote:
> [clip]
> > For the top page layout, I propose (rationale below):
> >
> > (No left sidebar)
> > DOCUMENTATION EDITOR
> > Write, review, or proof the docs!
> >
> > MATURE DOCUMENTS
> >
> > Guide to Numpy
> > PDF book by Travis Oliphant
> >
> > DOCUMENT-IN-PROGRESS SNAPSHOTS
> >
> > Numpy Reference Guide (as of yyyy-mm-dd) PDF   zipped HTML
> >   refguide glossary shortcut
> >
> > Numpy User Guide (as of yyyy-mm-dd)
> > PDF   zipped HTML
> >
> > Scipy Reference Guide (as of yyyy-mm-dd) PDF   zipped HTML
> >
> > SEE ALSO
> >
> > SciPy.org
> > all things NumPy/SciPy (bug reports, downloads, conferences, etc.)
> >
> > SciPy.org/Documentation
> > more documentation not (yet) in the right format for this site
> >
> > SciPy.org/Cookbook
> > live, user-contributed examples and recipes for common tasks

> I adapted this suggestion a bit -- it's now live on docs.scipy.org. The
> "See also" part lives in the side bar, but otherwise it's almost as
> above. The download links look definitely better on the front page.

Looks great!  The tag lines under the main links are all redundant
except for the one on Travis's book.  E.g.:

Numpy Reference
reference documentation for Numpy

There's no new information in the extra line.  Also, please add
"Guide" to the title for this one.

Would it be possible to take the latest stats graph and stick it next
to the numpy reference manual on the front page?  Just the graph for
the last week and the key.  Don't do this if it's real work, or if it
slows loading much.  We can add graphs for the others when they go
under the wiki.

Also, how difficult is it to put the current date of the works in
progress?  That would help those downloading it to see how recent it
is and when to get an update.  Again, don't do if it's a lot of work.

> There's also an attempt to link the site visually to the parent scipy.org
> site, but I'm no web designer, and it seems there are now too many snakes
> on the page.

Well, if it's not under that site, then maybe that's not a principal
concern.  If a web designer wants to step in, let 'em.

Nicely done.

--jh--